In which I complain about the trivial on OSX
- Download a gig of Microsoft Office for Mac; after install, must download a couple hundred more megs of patches.
- Office requires I exit Chrome to install (but not Safari).
- Installing Office caused the Microsoft Error Reporting tool to crash (I had previously installed the keyboard and mouse drivers from Microsoft, which they may not expect)
- Chrome frequently hangs on the front page of reddit – even after disabling Flash and Java and on and on
- I wasn’t asked if I wanted 300 icons sprayed onto the dock.
- Installing MSN Messenger puts two icons on the dock – both of which do the same thing.
- No Google Talk from Google, have to use third-party apps that don’t support voice calls.
- Can’t figure out how to enable the Enter key on the numeric keypad.
Also – gaming is marginal, at best. I wasn’t expecting a powerhouse, but when ten-year-old games can’t keep a consistent frame rate, they aren’t worth playing. Seriously, my $300 Acer laptop plays TF2 and DoD:S using CPU only more smoothly than the Mac Mini, even with details cranked down and no tricky water effects.
All that trivial whining aside, XCode is nice enough, and having a real bash prompt at home again is very nice.